In building terms, the ‘first fix’ is the term used to cover all the initial work on a building project, by the time the first fix is complete the building is secure from the weather, the cabling for electrical supply is installed along with the pipes for water supply and waste removal.
Now it is time for the second fix, to change the site into a home. It’s very easy to get carried away at this point, careful management of funds is needed throughout the second fix.
- Plumbing – It is always worthwhile to go for a quality plumbing job, using a skilled tradesman, who can make sure that all the plumbing work is undertaken to the highest possible standard.Heating – Avoid additional heating costs such as the installation of underfloor heating, unless this is a really highly desired item.
- Bathrooms – A classic, all white theme will keep costs down and always look fantastic in the future, being easy to update with accessories and household linens in a single, themed colour.
- Electrics – It is a real false economy to underestimate the number of power outlets needed to run a modern, ‘smart’ home. Make sure that there are plenty of outlets in realistic places around the home. Equally, it’s very worthwhile to opt for modern lighting rather than ‘cheap and cheerful’ central pendants. Spot lighting, well installed, can transform a room and make it feel modern and desirable.
- Electrician – just as with plumbing work, it is vital to make sure that the electrical work is done to a high standard, is beautifully installed and is completely safe. A well qualified and experienced tradesman is important for this task.
- Second fix carpentry including doors and staircase – there is a huge range of door to choose from and good looking doors, made of quality materials, really add to the look of the home and are a worthwhile investment. The Door Store, is your No 1 choice for superior quality and choice of internal doors.
- Similarly there is a lot to be said for a beautifully installed and elegant look to a staircase, and a well installed staircase is a worthwhile investment. Think too about the space under the stairs, there are some great ideas around to make sure that every inch of this space is used and this is an opportunity to add some much needed storage into a modern home, by installing drawers or cupboards into every inch of the space available.
- Kitchen – It is so easy to blow the budget on a kitchen by installing expensive units and surfaces. Keep a close eye on this and opt for the best possible work surfaces, tiles and splash backs, but think carefully about costs as you plan. Look in detail at the colours and finishes that are available and go for a clean and uncluttered look with plenty of space for the homeowner to use.
- Appliances – good quality appliances are always worthwhile and make working in a kitchen an absolute pleasure. Shop around carefully for a good deal.
- Sundry items – Some items can give a home a real ‘wow’ factor, a wood burning stove or a really up to date and beautiful gas fire can absolutely make a sitting room or sitting area feel like the heart of the home.